Thursday, September 23, 2010

Canning

We picked 125 pounds of apples.  So I have made apple sauce, dehydrated slices and chips of apples, and made pie filling.  Tomatoes canned every way possible, beans, beets, jams, jelly, juice, peaches.... You get the idea I can a lot.

I have read about these reusable Tattler lids before.   Then I found this blog on how easy they really are to use.

I buy lids at E & S Sales 1265 N State Road 5, Shipshewana  IN 46565-9163 (260) 768-4736.  This summer I bought Ball wide mouth for $1.89  and Ball small mouth for $1.35.  Still really cheap compared to what you can find them for in the Holland area.  Or an even more expensive option buying them right here in the metropolis of Hamilton.

So the dilemma since lids are cheap at E and S and Tattlers are about .80 a lid but reusable for life...what to do?  Has anyone ever tried Tattlers?  What do you think of them?

I made some FABULOUS juice today.  It has tomatoes, beans, beets, garlic, celery, pumpkin, onion, carrots, tomatillos, green pepper, radishes, kohlrabi, cucumbers, potatoes, thyme, rosemary, chives.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I boiled it till tender and let it cool.  Then ran it through the salsa screen of my Sauce Master, ran the pulp through again.  Then switched to the screen that comes with it, heated it up and pressure canned it  it is so good.  Give it a try.

No comments: