Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bacon Jam

Yes you read it correctly Bacon Jam.  Of course I have revised this to make it more healthy.  Is it even possible with 2 pounds of bacon in it.... of course it is, I can talk myself into anything.  For instance chocolate is a vegetable, as is coffee.  Gummy bears or any fruity candy that has at least 1% fruit juice is a fruit and so on.  So now onto the healthy version of this  recipe.

2 pounds of bacon cut into small pieces with scissors
3 medium onions (about 3 cups)
4 cloves of crushed garlic. (2 1/2 tsp.)
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup sucanat
1/4 real maple syrup (NOT Log Cabin)
1/2 cup brewed coffee
1/2 cup bourbon
1/8 tsp real salt
1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper

Brown the bacon drain on a towel (no paper napkins in my house), leaving 1 Tab bacon "juice" in the pan. Saute onions and garlic for about 5 minutes on low.  Add remaining ingredients and stir well to remove the brown bits off of the pan bottom.  Pour the contents into a crock pot.  Cook on high uncovered for 3 1/2 to 4 hours until thickened.  Coarsely pulse in a food chopper.  Chill for up to a month.  I am freezing some of this too.

My healthy changes areas follows:
-I used raw vinegar with mother.  Click the above link to find out why it is better for you.
-I used sucanat instead of brown sugar.  It is pure cane sugar not refined white with color and flavor added.
-Real Maple Syrup, expensive, but it doesn't contain HF corn syrup.

I plan on making some bread on Friday to try this out on in the morning.
The alcohol cooks out of this so it is safe for children.

Leave me a comment if you give this a try.

1 comment:

Medifast Coupons said...

Keep seeing recipes for bacon jam and they are all a bit different. Don't know if I am willing to make yet and I keep looking at the grocers, kind of want to try some but don't want to commit to making.
Thanks for your version when I get up the nerve. Bet my hubby would like, he is a bacon fan.