Thursday, January 27, 2011

Grapefruit and Rosemary Jam

The concoction of the day is Grapefruit and Rosemary Jam.  This started as a marmalade till I remembered I don't like marmalade so I tossed the peels and started over.

I zest-ed 2 grapefruit.
Add the pulp from about 8 grapefruit and all the juice.
I had made fresh squeezed citrus juice it had grapefruit, oranges and a lemon in it.  There was about 1 1/2 quarts left so I used it all.
Pure cane sugar to taste.
Agave nectar to taste.
Pinch of salt.
Rosemary and black pepper (1/2 tsp) and 1 tsp. sugar morter and pestled till a fine powder was achieved.

I boiled the pulp, zest, juice, and 4 cups water for 15 minutes.  Then set it in the porch to cool overnight.  Added the rest to taste and let it simmer till a jell is formed.  I am then going to can it.  So far it tastes pretty yummy!!!

No comments: