Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Banana Jam

A blast from my childhood...bananas and peanut butter on toast.  YUMMY  I had about 12 over-ripe frozen bananas in my freezer.  Not being a huge fan of banana bread, and not feeling like making smoothies for a month I did some Googling and came with my own creation for banana jam. 

12 frozen bananas peeled and mashed
1 lemon,  juiced
cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves;  to taste
1/8 tsp. salt
2 Tab. of my homemade vanilla vodka extract
1 cup of water
1 1/2 cups sugar or to taste
1 tsp. unsulfured molasses

I mixed it all together and am now cooking it down to thicken.  I am going to refrigerate it when done and freeze the rest.  I wanted to can it but I don't have PH paper or a tester so I will save that for another day.

ETA:  Don't add all of the lemon juice, mine it a little tart.  Also back off on the sugar to sweet.  I will probably add more vanilla.  If I had a whole bean I think that would be even better.  Scrape the seeds and boil the pod.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that really sounds good will have to try it sometime

Motywowanie Cytaty said...

It looks very delicious. I try this recipe tomorrow. Today I have a lot of work. My boss watching me, so I'm not bored in work ;) Maybe I should change my office job? If I was a chef I might cook at work and nobody complaint :) Thanks for this recipe :)