Monday, August 16, 2010

Summer Food

I am making Peach Vinegar.  I googled recipes and found several that would work.  I took about 3 pounds of ripe peaches and mashed them in the pan.  I added 1/2 gallon of White vinegar at 5% acid.  This is important to preserve the peaches.  Make sure the acid is no higher than 7%.  I also added 1/4 cup sugar.  Bring this to a simmer.  Let it cool and transfer it into a glass jar(s).  Store in a cool dark place for 3-4 weeks.  Strain through several layers of cheese cloth.  At this point I may add more sugar.  And maybe some fresh herbs.  Store in the refrigerator to preserve the lovely color.  I plan to use this to make fruit dressing for fall lettuce that we will soon be planting and as a marinade for meat.

The next is Beet Hummus  YES BEETS!  Dan loved it and he hates hummus.

Roast 4 beets until tender.  350 for about an hour.  I let them cool and peeled them.  sliced them up into a food chopper.  I like tahini so I added more but start with 4 Tab., 4 Tab of lemon juice and the grated peel of 1/2 the lemon, 2 cloves of pressed garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.  Whirl it around.  Taste it and adjust it to your liking.  The color is breath taking and the taste is just as good.  Serve with whole wheat crackers or cut fresh veggies.  Try it it is really YUMMY!  Remember that fresh beets can do funny things to your "output".  Like turn your urine a nice rosy color and also turn you bowel movement red.

No comments: